Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Brush your Teeth, Your Hair, and Your Skin!

When I went to my naturopath a couple of weeks ago for advice on preventative health care, I was expecting to get some input on diet, exersice, sleep, and strategies to reduce the stress on my body. 

What I wasn't expecting was some recommended changes to my basic self-care routine.  I thought I had all the basics covered:  I shower, brush my teeth, my hair, wash my face, and clip my nails.  But she suggested adding something to my morning routine that I had never heard of before.  She suggested that I start "skin brushing". 

I had no idea what she was talking about.

She continued as though it should be just as much a part of my morning routine as brushing my teeth and washing my face and I started wondering why I hadn't been doing this before, and why I didn't know about it. 

Skin brushing isn't new, but few of us have heard of it.  I took heart in finding that I was not alone.  No one I asked about it had ever heard about it either.

Skin brushing, my naturopath explained, would take about 5 minutes or so, and would require me to "brush" my skin from head to toe as if I were dusting myself off.  I was to brush towards my heart and lymph nodes (under arm area), in order to work with my body's natural processes to rid my body of toxins and stimulate the skin.

She suggested using my hands to brush my skin, but as I looked into it online I saw that there were a number of products and techniques out there should I want to treat myself to what can only be described as "high-end" skin brushing.

My naturopath described some of the benefits of skin brushing, mainly that it helps your body get rid of toxins naturally, but my subsequent research told me that this was just the tip of the iceburg. 

Benefits include the removal of dead skin cells, strengthened immune system, improved digestion, improved function of the nervous system, removal cellulite, stimulates circulation, and much more.  For more information on skin brushing, it's benefits and tips and tricks for making the process as effective and comfortable as possible visit:  NaturalHealthTechniques.com

Talk to your naturopath for the products and techniques that are appropriate for you, and to discuss how skin brushing can improve your overall health and well-being.

Here are some links to videos on skin brushing so you can see the technique for yourself: 

The benefits of Skin brushing as described by a Naturopathic Doctor.


Skin Brushing Techniques described by a Naturopathic Doctor.
(I would recommend be very gentle at first or using a soft brush, otherwise this could get painful!)

A Daily Skin Brushing Technique Demonstrated


For after when you get out of the shower after skin brushing.


Skin Brushing Starter Kit

If you like the idea of skin brushing you can get started right away. 
High-quality, natural skin brushes are available from our store.  Quick delivery is available.
New Green Leaf Store

Where Can I Buy?
Skin brushing products are now available at our new online store, or the following products are available from amazon.com

Or purchase them right from our New Green Leaf Store


 

No comments:

Post a Comment